Friday, August 15, 2014

Getting Started: Choosing A Planner #1 {Filofax Friday}

Today I will be sharing the second installment of my new series, Filofax Friday! Every Friday (or most Fridays, anyway) I will be posting a Filofax or planner related post! These posts will cover a lot of different topics from organization, reviews, decorating, tutorials, and more. Some may also include videos! 

Last week's Filofax Friday post, was a first impressions/review of the new Lilac Kikki.K Time Planner.

I have received a lot of questions (mostly on Instagram), asking about how to get started using a planner/personal organizer, how to choose one, etc. I will try to cover all of those questions in my Filofax Friday series! 


Today I'll be talking a bit about the types and brands of planners that are out there. The next post will be about sizes, and how to choose a planner for your needs.

There are many, many, many, many types of planners out there in the planning world. There are many different sizes, materials, and prices, too!
Some types of planners include a binder ring style (my personal favourite), traditional notebook style and coil/spiral bound. There are surely others out there, but I would say that they are the most common.
Binder style planners are probably the most popular with planner lovers. They are super customisable, as you can open up and close the rings as you please, like a binder, and remove/replace the inserts, or move them around, whatever you want to do. This also means that you can potentially use the same planner for years, just by putting in new inserts for each year! This is great news for anyone who is put off by the price of some leather planners. They may be a bit pricey now, but if you take great care of it, it could last you a long time!
Notebook and coil/spiral bound planners are also very popular, however. And their popularity seems to be increasing lately in the planner community. These types of planners would be the most common/popular in the world, rather than the planner world.
Within each type of planner, there are also different closure types. Some have a button, some have an elastic band, some might have a magnetic closure, some have a zip closure, and some have no closure. It all comes down to your personal preference. It's really nice that there are so many options out there. 

Now let's talk about a few popular brands. I will keep this list down to the planners that I have personally tried, or heard a lot about. These brands are all available online. I like to search eBay for my planners, as well as Facebook swap/sell/trade groups, or buy directly from a retailer.

Filofax
Filofax is a company, based in the UK. The company was founded in 1921! Whoa. Filofax are well known for their personal organisers (another name for 'planners'). Most of their personal organisers are made of leather and feature the 6 ring binder system.
I would say that Filofax is the most popular brand out there for the binder style planner. They make a huge range of styles, colours and sizes to suit anyone's needs, and their planners are beautifully made and great quality.
Filofaxes make many sizes of their organisers, but the most popular/common sizes are A5, Personal and Pocket! I'll be talking about planner sizes in my next post, and how to choose a size that suits your needs.

Here are a few of the Filofaxes I have had.

Filofax Personal size "Malden" in Ochre colour. I really miss this one!

Filofax Pocket size "Patent" in Purple. I used this as my wallet for a while.

Kikki.K.
Kikki.K is a brand that I have known about for a few years now, but didn't fall in love with them until this year. I couldn't find as much information about Kikki.K online, but I do know that their first boutique store opened over 10 years ago. Kikki.K is a Swedish home/office style brand. They specialize in super cute stationery and office supplies. Despite being a "Swedish" brand, there are actually no Kikki.K stores in Sweden! Their main stores are based here in Australia, and there are also stores in Singapore, and New Zealand as far as I know. Kikki.K is well known for their super adorable designs! And not to mention, their cute-as-a-button planners. They make many different styles of planners, but their leather binder ring style planners would definitely be the most popular. They also make notebook style planners. Kikki.K actually just released their new range of Time Planners for 2015 a few weeks ago. See my first impressions here.

Here is another Kikki.K planner that I have had:

Kikki.K 2014 Medium size Mint Time Planner. This planner is now quite hard to find. I miss this one also.

Kate Spade New York.
Kate Spade is a brand that most people would have heard of. Kate Spade are most well known for their handbags and fashion items. Owning something from Kate Spade had never come across my mind, until I heard that they made planners! Kate Spade leather planners are highly sought after in the planner community (especially the older, discontinued styles) and rightfully so, as they are beautifully made in my opinion! Their planners also have very wide rings, which is great for those who like to stuff their planner with lots of information. :)
Kate Spade also make several different designs in a notebook style planner, which is also very nice!

Kate Spade Wellesley Zipped Planner in Black.

Erin Condren.
Erin Condren is a brand that has become extremely popular over the past 6 months or so. They are most popular for their Life Planners. These planners are coil bound, but they are more than your average notebook or spiral bound planner. They come with lots of extras including stickers, a zip pouch, and their covers are even interchangeable! Their planners are super colourful, bright and fun, and feature a lot of cute and motivational quotes throughout the planner. Erin Condren also makes Teacher Planners. {This is the only brand that I have not tried from this list, but it is extremely popular, so I thought it was worth sharing!}
These are just a few of the options out there. There are many brands that make planners.

I actually don't own any of the planners that I showed in this post anymore. I swap and sell my planners quite frequently. Usually to fund more planner purchases. ;) But I do miss some of these ones!

I hope this post helped you get started in your planning journey if you haven't yet, or maybe opened your eyes to some brands out there that you haven't tried.

In next week's post, I will be talking more about Filofax / Filofax style planners and their sizes, and which one to choose to suit your needs, so be sure to check back for that! :)

If you have any requests for posts {or possibly YouTube videos} you would like to see in the future in the Filofax Friday series, please be sure to leave me a comment below and I will add your suggestion to my list. :)

Thanks for reading, and I hope you all have a fantastic weekend!
Happy planning! ♥

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete